Planning to get straighter-looking teeth? Invisalign and braces are two of the most popular treatment options that offer you an aesthetically pleasing smile and straighter teeth. If you’re suffering from crooked or misaligned teeth, Invisalign and braces are excellent options. This article is a complete guide about Invisalign vs. braces, the benefits of Invisalign, Invisalign Cost Manchester, and others. Let’s dive in!
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign are virtually invisible and removable clear aligners that are designed and custom-made to straighten your teeth with time. Invisalign is unlike traditional braces, as there are no wires or brackets. Moreover, these aligners are extremely soft and flexible, which can be removed during brushing, flossing, and eating. The primary aim of Invisalign is to give you a straighter and aesthetically pleasing smile.
In the treatment, the patient is expected to wear custom-made, clear aligners fitted into their teeth and positioned within 12-30 months, depending on the case’s complexity. Note these aligners are not 100% invisible; however, these are not noticeable like the traditional braces.
How Invisalign Works?
Invisalign uses clear aligners designed from the impression taken on the mold by the dentist or computer-generated images to straighten your teeth’ appearance. Here is the step-by-step process of how Invisalign works:
- First and foremost, you will go for a consultation where your dentist will closely check your teeth and suggest effective solutions.
- In the next step, your dentist will take an impression of your teeth to make custom-designed clear aligners. Based on the impression, a well-fitted custom tray is made.
- During the fitting appointment, your dentist will fix the plastic tray within your teeth. They will show you how you can remove and fix it.
- Generally, you will be recommended to wear your aligners for a minimum of 8-9 months. In case your condition is more complex, the time period may increase to 15-20 months or more. It is recommended to wear these consistently for 22-23 hours a day to see desired results.
- Every month, your doctor will call you for regular checkups to determine the condition. Based on your condition, a further treatment plan is recommended.
- Every 2-3 weeks, you will be given a new set of aligners that will push and pull your teeth gently to give you a pleasing smile.
Pros and Cons
Here are some pros and cons of Invisalign:
- Invisalign is removable; therefore, you can drink or eat anything
- Invisalign is virtually invisible.
- Oral hygiene becomes easier.
- There will be no dental emergencies
- Invisalign is way more comfortable than traditional braces.
- You can remove your aligners every day for 1 hour.
- If not more, Invisalign is as effective as traditional braces.
- Aligners can be put in more easily.
- You can get invisalign even if you have dental implants.
- Aligners are available in a vast variety of choices.
- Invisalign aligners are not suitable for everyone.
- The treatment time for Invisalign is longer
- Invisalign is an expensive procedure
- You may feel discomfort after wearing Invisalign
- Your speech ability may be disrupted
- There will be food limitations after getting Invisalign
- Invisalign cannot fix large teeth gaping
- You will have to wear clear aligners for 22 to 23 hours a day.
What Are Braces?
Braces, also known as traditional braces, contain wires and brackets, where both are connected to slowly move your teeth and get a straighter smile and teeth appearance by putting pressure on them. These brackets and wires put some amount of force on your tooth and pull them over a period of a few months or a year. Generally, braces are kept for 12 to 25 months to see the desired results.
Types Of Braces And How They Work?
There are different types of braces that your dentist may recommend to you. These include:
1. Lingual Braces
Similar to traditional braces, lingual braces are metal braces that are fixed on the back side of your teeth. These are used to treat gapped teeth, severely crowded teeth, underbite, and overbite conditions.
Invisalign is a popular teeth straightening treatment that progressively moves your misaligned teeth into an ideal position, offering a straight smile. Generally, one needs to put Invisalign for 12-30 months to see effective results.
3. Ceramic Braces
Famously known as clear braces, ceramic braces are orthodontic tools that straighten misaligned teeth and fix bite and speech issues. These are custom-made and attached to your teeth to fix them.
Pros and Cons
Here are pros and cons of braces:
- Braces are traditionally used and increase your confidence
- Braces are designed to offer great comfort
- Braces are non-removable, so they show faster results
- Braces improve your speech
- Braces prevent any chances of dental injuries
- Brushing and flossing are easier
- Braces promote healthy gums and mouth
- Harsh on soft tissues and gums
- Cuts, Lesions, or ulcerations on lips or cheek.
- Damage to the teeth roots
- Damage to the teeth enamel
- Dental cavities and poor oral health
- Severe pain during the tightening of wires and brackets
- Several dietary restrictions
Invisalign vs. Braces: Key Differences (Table)
|Treatment Length||1-3 years, based on your case||6 months to 2 years, based on your individual case|
|Cleaning||Regular brushing and flossing using specialized floss threader||Regular brushing and flossing. Routine dental checkup is a must.|
|Orthodontist Visits||Every month at least one visit||One visit in every three months|
|Effectiveness||Braces is recommended for different orthodontic issues||Invisalign is effective in mild to moderate cases only.|
|Comfort||Might cause sores and discomfort.||Invisalign are more comfortable with no brackets or wires|
How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
On average, an Invisalign cost Manchester ranges between between $1500 and $6000. Depending on the complexity of your case and the treatment period, this cost keeps fluctuating.
How Much Do Braces Cost?
On average, the cost of getting an Invisalign ranges between between $2,400 to $9,000. Depending on the complexity of your case and the treatment period, this cost keeps fluctuating.
Is it Better to Get Braces or Invisalign?
If you are concerned about your looks, getting Invisalign is a great option, as it does the task well without getting noticed. On the other hand, braces are comparatively more effective; however, getting braces is a painful procedure.
1. What are the signs that you need invisible braces?
Here are the signs that you need invisible braces:
- Difficulty in brushing and flossing
- Crowded, crooked, and misaligned teeth
- An open bite
- Gaps between the teeth
- Difficulty in speaking, biting, and chewing
2. Can I drink alcohol after having braces?
No, alcohol is strictly prohibited after getting braces. However, if you have clear aligners, you can have them once every several months.
3. What questions should I ask my dentist?
Here are some questions to ask
- How are aligners better than traditional braces?
- I have dental implants. Can I get braces?
- How much time will it take to treat the misaligned teeth?
- Are there any precautions or dietary changes to make?
Both Invisalign and braces are becoming popular; however, both of them have their advantages and disadvantages. The end result for both is great, as you get an aesthetically pleasing smile.